I received this e-book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
I really enjoyed reading this book. I've read Alex Appropriately and absolutely loved it and was so excited to get approved for this arc. Jenn's other book is on my TBR, Starry Eyes, and I really need to get on that book asap. This book gave me so many feels that in a few scenes I could hardly handle it. I got to say, this was a pretty intense book with a lot going on. But I really loved all the characters so much. They were so easy to connect with and so dang easy to fall in love with.
Our POV is Birdie. She lives with her grandparents who homeschooled her and are super strict. Because of some events that recently happened in her life and because she is 18, she is able to get a job in the city, off the island. She works the night shift at an iconic hotel. She is pretty excited about it because one of Birdie's favorite things are mystery books. And she loves to solve mysteries. The hotel is known for the murder of a celebrity that has never been solved. Of course, Birdie would love to be the person to solve that. What she doesn't know is that she ends up solving a totally different mystery. And who better to help her than Daniel Aoki. A fellow employee at the hotel.
Daniel is her opposite in many ways but they fit together perfectly. Birdie originally wants nothing to do with Daniel, mostly because of their history, but she can't help but want to solve a mystery. Also, I'm sure the fact that he is gorgeous helps as well. I immediately fell in love with Daniel and Bridie. They were great characters to follow, with so much depth in their personality. I really appreciated all the different layers that we got to see for each character. Each character had struggles that they were also dealing with. I thought I was going to be reading another light contemporary, but I was happily surprised that it was so much more than that.
I definitely recommend Jenn Bennett's Serious Moonlight. It's a great contemporary that is not too light and fluffy, I laughed a lot, but I also cried a good amount as well. I can't gush enough about these characters! Go, read the book and see for yourselves.
Birdie ~ I loved Birdie! She was such a great character. Except for the beginning few chapters where she frustrated me, I loved everything about her. She had so much going on, but I felt like for the most part she handled them pretty well. Her loving mysteries was one of my favorite things about her.
Daniel ~ How can you not love Daniel! He was seriously the perfect character. Like Birdie, He was dealing with so much, but handling it okay. I loved how tenacious he was about things that were super important to him. I almost wish that he would have gotten his own POV. But, even so, I really liked Daniel. He was funny, witty and oh so charming.
Mona ~ I loved Mona! Her personality was just so dang big and that was the best part of her. I kept trying to imagine how she looked and the outfits she wore. Everything about her was just so fascinating. I'm glad that Birdie has her in her life.
Grandpa ~ We didn't get much of Grandpa, but I really liked him a lot. That is why I added him to the list. I think that he was a lot less strict than Grandma, and I loved him for that.
This book really gave me all the feels. I could not put this book down for anything. I had to finish it, and I had to know everything that was going to happen. Here we go...
- What a beginning. I loved Daniel from the get-go. He seriously has the best personality. I really hated how Birdie was handling the whole situation. I was so glad that Daniel didn't give up and kept trying to talk to her.
- Mona is my absolute favorite. I love her. She is so fun. Coolest Aunt ever.
- I loved how Birdie and Daniel kept meeting up in different places. Too cute.
- I seriously couldn't put this book down. I read so much without even writing any notes...
- Her being so rude to him was not cool. He is being so sweet to her when he doesn't have to be.
- I loved the detective work they were doing together.
- These two were seriously the sweetest together. I just couldn't get enough.
- Daniel's date idea was perfection. Seriously. I hated that those kids from his old school ruined it though. Even though they kissed, the date seemed off towards the end. I kinda felt like probably tried to kill himself after all that happened with him not being able to hear and do his magic.
- So it was suicide. Sadly. But I was so glad that he finally told her. I want to be frustrated that she has to think about it. But at the same time, I'm glad she had to think and decided to go to his house. I love how she met his family and they got to eat dinner together. Daniel has a super sweet family.
- Oh man, the scene where she gets high was hilarious. But then it definitely took a dark turn. Her becoming paralyzed was super scary. I'm glad he knows about her narcolepsy now.
- I love how she went to talk to Daniel's mom. Very mature of her.
- He is in love with her and it's the best thing ever. Of course, I wasn't surprised at all. You could totally tell how much he adores her. And even though she didn't say it back, I know she is in love with him too.
- I was totally smitten by their relationship. Seriously. Jenn did an amazing job.
- I really didn't like Leon Snod, but guess he is around to stay since Mona is pregnant! Which was such a surprise. I would have never guessed.
- Them going to "Waddle's" house was crazy! They really could have gotten caught, but luckily they didn't.
- I loved how they dressed up for the Opera and were going through with this. I was so glad that they got in, I was a tad worried they might get caught.
- Wow, as soon as she put everything together, that Darke may be his father, it all came together for me. Daniel knew this whole time that he was his father. He wasn't that interested in what Darke was doing exactly, he really wanted to know more about his real father and confront him. I just knew it.
- Goodness, that whole scene was so dang intense. With him confronting his father, and then his fight with Birdie. I totally got why Birdie was mad, but I wish she would have taken some time to understand Daniel. She really frustrates me sometimes.
- Her episode was so dang scary. Getting rushed to the hospital and all of that.
- Wow, the truth about Birdie's mother was so sad. I'm glad she decided not to be like her and go to the doctor. I just love her Grandfather and her Aunt.
- I was so glad that everything is going to be okay with Birdie and Daniel. When he came over and they talked it made my heart so happy.
- I really loved that Mona and Cherry were becoming fast friends.
- The ending was perfection! I loved that everyone was there at the baby shower. Just so dang sweet.
Hurry and go get this book and read it! And then come back here and let's chat about it!